• DOI/ US Geological Survey -Great Lakes Science Center -Research Vessel
• 65 foot steel- hull trawler, 83 ton, 18 foot beam, 9 foot draft, used in fresh water only.
• Built in 1961 by Hans Hansen in Toledo, Ohio
• Operated and maintained by federal agencies
• Set up for trawling and gill netting and capable of a variety of scientific sampling.
• Can also be used for commercial fishing or converted for personal use.
• Compliant with federal large vessel safety management system.
• Two N855M Cummins diesel engines (air start) with TWIN DISC MG509 2.95:1 marine gears, 195 hp each, recently overhauled (2007)
• Main generator is 60 kW and also drives hydraulic system, (installed 2004)
• Auxiliary generator is 21.5 kW and shrouded for noise. (installed 2005)
• Six bunks; two heads; shower; heated and air conditioned; full galley.
• Two trawl winches with 2000 feet of 3/8 inch wire; trawl gallows; mounting space and hydraulics available for net reel; mounting space and hydraulics available for deck crane; sampling winch and boom that can be used for: ponars, plankton nets, SEABIRD, etc.; anchor winch.
• 3000 gal fuel tanks; 600 gal potable water; 800 gal holding tanks.
• Speed is 11 knts
• Two radar; sonar; two vhf radios; auto pilot; GPS; magnetic and satellite compass; intercom and loudhailer; sound-powered phone; detection and alarm system for smoke, CO, methane, heat, flooding; emergency lighting; engine room C02 flooding system.
• Diesel fuel polishing system. RACOR duel filters on all engines.
• Covered processing area on back deck. Interior space that can be used for wet or dry lab.
• Typically used 90 days per year.
• We averaged 11 gallons of diesel fuel per hour on a sampling day.
• Twin Screw -40″ X 38″ NIBRAL, 3 blade propellers.
• Hydraulic steering.
• Fire pump; bilge pump; deck wash-down pump.
• Air compressor with two 30 gal tanks.
• Two 1 1/2” fire hose stations.
• Davit for small boat.
• Can accept 110 volt or 220 volt shore power -single phase. 3 phase available at both generators.